Monday, July 16, 2007

Don't Puchkin me, 'cause I'm close to the edge

I was reading this book about duels.
I read this story about the Russian Poet Alexander Pushkin. He was a notorious womanizer and fought many a duel, in fact he was killed in one by the Spanish Ambassador's aide de camp because the Spanish guy was pluggin Pushkins wife.
Anywho, there was this other duel he fought with this guy who'se wife he, Pushkin, was plugging. The guy challenged him and Puchkin showed up with only a bag of cherries. Puchkin ate the cherries and spit them at the guy while the guy, pissed off kept shooting at him. After he had shot at Puchkin 5 times, Pushkin asked him, "are you satisfied?". the guy, humiliated and exhausted said yes. Puchkin spat one last cherrie pit and walked away into the Russian night.
That's balls. Big ones.
I'm not saying that people should fight duels today, though i know there are some folks I would want to stand toe to toe with. But now a days people can say and do whatever they want and there is little or no consequences. I think maybe you'd think twice before calling someone out. On the other hand Tom Cruise would have challenged Joey and I to a duel because I've called him a talentless midget with an ass face and Joey has called him Child-Eating crazy. Then again I could just slap him, put him in a paper bag and toss him off the Varrazano bridge into Sheephead bay.

No comments: