Monday, July 16, 2007

Waffle Fry Theory

I have this theory. I can't back it up necessarily or prove it or anything. It's just something I've come up with. It's called the Waffle Fry theory of the Universe.
Most people, at least in the west, think of time as being linear like a Mcdonald's french fry. There is the past, the present, and the future and one naturally follows the other. This assumes that there is a definite beginning and a definite end and it is progressing to that end. Each cause leads to an effect in a neverending chain of reality that can easily be traced back.
In the East, they see things as being more like an onion ring. A circle. The past present and future are cyclical. What was will be again and the future is already written. That's why they believe in reincarnation. What was here is still here and will be here again.
My theory is that time and our reality is like a waffle fry, like from Chic-fil-A. See every moment of every day for all time not only can lead off in a different tangent but does. All possible realities exist simultaneously. I choose to go to the bathroom before I left my field trip today and this avoided my being stuck in a subway station, I would have been at had i not stopped, when the subway station was shut down for a possible terrorist incident today. But I WAS stuck there, in the string of time where I chose not to go to the bathroom. Both that reality and the one I experienced exist whatever I choose. The reality we are aware of is only the rung of the waffle fry we are on at any given moment. However every tangent is still there, existing on some level. jutting out in a never ending web pattern that contains all possible realities and all possible choices laying out for eternity. It is only the choices we make and circumstances that determine where we are. All those other versions of ourselves exist though we are unaware of them. This interconnected web of reality makes up the fabric of our lives.
We have free will, and it is our great gift. God will not force our hands. We choose every moment, and we just then turn down that rung. We could just have easily gone another way. Every moment that followed would grow out of this new turn. It's like a choose your own adventure book that never ends.

No comments: