Monday, July 16, 2007

The Hothead

Men. Listen to me. Women also take note to remind your man.
You know who is the coolest dresser in any movie? James Caan in the Godfather. Look at him. Study him. Sonny Corleone looks awesome in ever scene of that movie. Whether it is the tuxedo at the beginning of the film, The assortment of slacks and white unbuttoned shirts he sports in scenes where they are figuring out what to do about the coming war with the five families, or even a wife beater with suspenders and black pants. HE looks awesome no matter what he is wearing. Why? Because he wears it with style and confidence. His brother Michael learns this and goes from looking like a schlep to the incredible suit and hat combo he wears when he goes to ask Diane Keaton to marry him or the blue suit he wears as he stands godfather to his nephew and kills everyone including the baby's father. It is because he too is exuding his natural confidence, strength, and style.
Why is this important? Because these icons come from an era where men gave a shit about what they wore and had a style all their own. I'm not saying we all have to wear three piece suits, wear whatever the hell you want and do so with the same style and confidence as James Caan and Al Pacino in the Godfather. I wear goofy t-shirts with jeans or pants, nice shoes, and a jacket. This is MY style, Dignified Wackosity. I remember my grandfather who wore a guyabera like no man I've ever seen. He got them tailor made for him by Ramon Puig, el Rey de las Guayaberas in Miami. He looked like million bucks when he wore one of them. He looked equally good in a suit with his doctor's coat at the hospital, or in the Sear's jumpsuit he often wore around the house. Even that he looked sharp, because he was confident and sure of himself.
Men are simple creatures. We are motivated by three things only:Sex, Food, and Power. If a man has no sense of his own power, worth, and intellect he looks like a pile of shit. You can put him in a 7k Armani suit and he still looks like a pile of shit. A man who is weak and powerless does not get laid and his fellow men do not respect him. Sonny and Michael Corleone get laid and men respect them. So did Dean Martin, Desi Arnaz, Benny More, my grandfather and other men whose style I admire. I learned this because in times in my life when I didn't believe in myself and didn't hold to my own power as a man and confidence in myself this was the case. Ask any woman and she'll tell you that a guy with no confidence is about as big a turn off as anything in the world.
James Caan, Thank you.


No comments: